It is the summer of the soul in December

People have asked me how the “no presents” thing went for us at Christmas. There was only one moment where I was a little sad, and that was right after church on Christmas Eve. Normally we go home and do our own presents after that, but we had no presents to rush home to. We had planned on going out to eat, but we were still full from the big lunch at my Grandma’s house. There was one of those moments of panic, where each of you is trying to figure out how to make the rest of the evening special for the other person, but it’s only 6:15 and there are still a lot of hours to fill and what are we going to do?

We ended up going home and putting on our pajamas and watching the Grinch (cartoon version for me, thankyouverymuch). And then we read for a while on the couch, and then I fell asleep and Mike turned off the light and we slept on the couch by the light of the Christmas tree. We woke up a while later, feeling rested, and looked at the clock. 10:45. So we went upstairs and went to bed. Yes, we are officially boring and old. It was nice, though, to have been able to just rest like that. That was fairly symbolic of our whole Christmas season – getting to spend more time together.

Christmas Day was nice, hanging out with my family, playing Cranium, eating a lot. Mike, my brother, and I kicked my parents’ butts at Cranium. I only say this because they kept talking about how great they were, but the three of us made an excellent team. The only bad part of the day was that when we got there, my dad was watching It’s a Wonderful Life, and he started it over so I could see it. Because he knows how much I hate it. And then, since I wasn’t in the room, he started it over again. And he fell asleep, so he ended up showing the ending twice, and when we went home it was on TV, so it turns out that I saw the “fate worse than death” scene (“Where’s Mary? Where’s my wife?” “You’re not going to like it George . . . She’s closing up the library!”) three times. hehe.

Boxing Day was spent running errands (like finally dropping my car off to get it fixed) and visiting Mike’s sister. After that, we headed to Wilmington to celebrate our friend Scott’s birthday, which is on the 27th. He turned 25 this year, and he never gets a party, since his birthday is so close to the holidays (and on his parents’ anniversary). So we helped throw him one. His wife was sick, so it’s a good thing we were there, because Mike and I ended up helping a lot with the food while she was napping.

We came back yesterday and spent some time with my cousin and his girlfriend who were in town. Then Mike and I went to Greensboro and ran a few errands, picking up some calendars at 50% off and using some of Mike’s Christmas money to get Garden State. We went to Chili’s and had dinner (yay for giftcards!) and went home and started some laundry and put in the movie. I enjoyed it a lot . . . I was tired while we were watching it, but I can definitely see why it resonated with Mike like it did.

Today I am still a little tired and Mike woke up with a sore throat. Luckily I just have to work today and tomorrow this week, and Friday we are planning to do a back-to-back-to-back showing of the LotR trilogy on our big screen. I’m going to make vegetable soup and we’ll eat a lot of popcorn. Our Christmas was so busy; we’re looking forward to spending a day at our house just relaxing.

No Trackbacks